Government agencies are increasingly under threat from malicious actors as the scale and complexity of federal, state and municipal IT services expands to meet the needs of digitally native citizens. For attackers, government networks represent tempting targets. Aging infrastructure often empowers undetected access to valuable user data which can be used for short-term gain or long-term compromise. Nation-state hackers are aiming critical assets and data.
To address existing security challenges and mitigate advanced infosec threats, agencies need government cyber security solutions capable of identifying key weak points, delivering cutting-edge solutions and future-proofing critical IT infrastructure.
Bridging the Gap
According to a recent GAO audit, there’s a growing gap between government information security threats and the response of federal and state agencies. Awareness isn’t the issue — public breaches and evolving threats are constantly grabbing headlines. So, what’s the disconnect?
Put simply, governments face the problem of two symptoms and one source. The first symptom is specificity — agencies often recognize the risk of cyber threats but lack comprehensive security plans. The second problem is existing infrastructure. In many cases, governments lack the IT expertise and resources necessary to improve their security posture.
The source of both these concerns is complexity. The sheer volume of citizen data — from information governed by HIPAA and GDPR rules to data covered under PCI requirements or state-specific laws around privacy and security such as CCPA — makes it difficult for agencies to identify key security solutions, much less implement them at scale.
Solving this problem means thinking outside existing governmental structure to leverage innovative, third-party solutions capable of delivering improved security without compromising key operations.
Cutting the Red Tape
At HALOCK Security Labs, we’re committed to delivering top-tier federal government information security solutions that help cut through red tape and reduce total complexity, including:
- Compliance — Compliance rules and regulations are constantly evolving, and governments can’t afford to fall behind. Our compliance services help government agencies assess, mitigate and reduce their total compliance risk.
- Incident response and forensics — Security incidents happen. When they do, agencies must be prepared. Our incident response services empower incident response to limit the scope and cost of a breach, while our forensic solutions help identify the root cause. HALOCK’s incident response management, process, and planning provide comprehensive coverage in the event of a security breach. Explore an ongoing program that gets in front of any potential threats or attacks. You can be response ready with an Incident Response Readiness as a Service (IRRaaS) program.
- Penetration testing — The scale and complexity of government systems present opportunities for hackers and challenges for in-house IT. Government penetration testing from HALOCK Security Labs helps find and secure potential weak points before they’re exploited by malicious actors. Consider a Recurring Penetration Testing program to assess your safeguards throughout the year for a proactive security approach.
- Third Party Risk Management (TPRM)/Vendor Risk Management – Ensure third-party partners are aligned with your organization’s risk controls. Vendors and contractors serve as an extension of your group. They represent you and should operate under your business requirements. A required best practice is to always conduct a supplier risk assessment to keep your vendors on point with your security posture. HALOCK can help build and manage a specific program for your unique environment.
- Risk Assessments – Regulations require your safeguards be reasonable to your organization, customers, and partners. With many frameworks available, how do you establish your acceptable risk? The Duty of Care Risk Assessment (DoCRA) helps you define a balanced security strategy factoring in compliance and safeguards based on your specific business and objectives.
- Risk Management & Security System Management: The massive volume of public security issues means you need to spend InfoSec budgets wisely to ensure maximum impact and minimum disruption. Our experts have the industry knowledge you need to prioritize and optimize security investments while keeping you compliant. An ongoing risk management program provides continuous maintenance and insight on your risk profile and how to enhance your security.
- Privacy – CCPA is the most sweeping legislation to date in the U.S. that concerns the protection of personal information. It broadens the definition of what constitutes personal information and gives California citizens greater control over what companies can do with their personal data. This includes the right to exempt their own personal information from being shared or purchased on the open market. Understand the impact this change and other states’ requirements have on your organization. Know what private information you manage and where it is located to properly secure – conduct Sensitive Data Scanning as a Service (SDSaaS) to ensure you have a current data inventory of sensitive information.
- Cyber Security Awareness Training – With many employees now working remotely, they are targets for hackers. Ensure they understand the potential threats they may experience and best practices to prevent cyber attacks on your network or customer data. Security Awareness training will provide guidance on how to detect suspicious activity and what to do in the event of a security incident.
- Security Engineering & Tools: Ensure you have the proper infrastructure to defend sensitive data of your constituents, team, and more. Conduct security architecture reviews and implement threat monitoring programs to proactively secure against cyber threats. A consistent and steady review of your threat landscape is a best practice for your industry through a managed detection and response program (MDR) or Threat Hunting Program.
- Learn more about our comprehensive Risk Management Program to help prioritize your investments while balancing your security, compliance, and business obligations.
Public Service, Custom-Built
Public-facing government IT services are under increasing scrutiny as citizens demand improved protection of health, finance and other personal data. At HALOCK Security Labs, it’s our mission to deliver custom-built, purpose-driven government cyber security solutions that address unique agency challenges while reducing total complexity.
Effective government information security demands more than awareness of emerging cyber threats. Agencies must both deploy new solutions and manage existing infrastructure to meet current needs and safeguard against evolving cyber threats.
Power to the people starts with better data protection. Let’s talk.