Businesses are adopting the cloud, and it makes sense. Increasing need for on-demand access combined with evolving mobile and IoT deployments poses a significant challenge for on-site solutions. Add in the expanding IT skills gap and it’s no surprise that public, private and hybrid cloud uptake is on the rise. But there’s a caveat — security. Recent survey data found that 60% of infosec experts believe organizations are “embracing the cloud at a rate that outpaces their ability to secure it.” This creates a paradox. Companies can’t afford to ignore the cloud but can’t overlook the need for improved cloud data security, effective network testing and robust infosec strategies. If you need to secure your cloud-based business without sacrificing critical process performance, HALOCK Security Labs can help.
The Cloud-Based Cyber Security Paradox
Ten years ago, the cloud was an outlier praised for its utility but criticized for a lack of robust, uniform security controls. Now, cloud security solutions have emerged to defend applications and data both on- and off-premise and go beyond the limitations of traditional firewalls and gatekeeping. Many cloud providers now stake their reputation on great security, and in many cases the level of protection offered by cloud services meets or exceeds on-site solutions. However, the sheer size of cloud deployments coupled with rapid business uptake creates a problem of speed rather than distance: Despite best efforts, it’s easy for new technology to outpace effective cloud data security. As a result, organizations need a combination of generalist, provider-side security and expert infosec expertise.
Cloud Security Testing From HALOCK Security Labs
At HALOCK Security Labs, we’re committed to building partnerships with clients. We serve enterprise and midsize companies in finance, health care, energy, retail and a host of other industries. It’s our goal to meet organizations where they are — and right now, that’s in the cloud. That’s why we offer a variety of cloud-based cyber security solutions, including:
- Cloud penetration testing — Most enterprise clouds contain a mixture of in-house, third-party and open-source components. The result? Your cloud network may contain unknown vulnerabilities and weaknesses hackers could use to gain access. HALOCK Security Lab’s cloud-based penetration testing services can help identify and remediate these issues ASAP. Consider a Recurring Penetration Testing program to assess your safeguards throughout the year for a proactive security approach that moves fast like the cloud.
- Cloud data security testing and risk assessment — What’s the most likely attack avenue for cyber criminals? Where is critical data located? How is it protected? Our security testing and risk assessment services provide the insight you need to prioritize and optimize security deployments.
- Risk Management & Security System Management: Benefit from our industry knowledge you need to prioritize and optimize security investments while keeping you compliant. An ongoing risk management program provides continuous maintenance and insight on your risk profile and how to enhance your security.
- Cloud compliance testing — Compliance in the cloud is critical because data-driven organizations — not cloud providers — are on the hook for due diligence in protecting personally identifiable information and health, legal and financial data. HALOCK Security Labs helps your company identify key compliance requirements and ensure you’re meeting expectations with reasonable safeguards.
- Incident Response — When a breach does occur, you need to address the attack immediately, contain it and remediate the threat. Having a trusted, expert incident response team to stop and fix the attack — as well as an ongoing incident response plan to keep your data secure — is necessary. Explore an ongoing program that gets in front of any potential cyber security threats or attacks. You can be response ready with an Incident Response Readiness as a Service (IRRaaS) program.
- Third-party risk management (TPRM)/vendor risk management — Ensure third-party partners are aligned with your organization’s risk controls to keep a secure cloud. Vendors, supply chains, and contractors serve as an extension of your group. They represent you and should operate under your business requirements. A required best practice is to always conduct a supplier risk assessment to keep your vendors on point with your security posture. HALOCK can help build and manage a specific program for your cloud environment.
- Risk assessments — Regulations require your safeguards be reasonable to your organization, customers and partners. With many frameworks available, how do you establish your acceptable risk or reasonable security? The Duty of Care Risk Assessment (DoCRA) helps you define a balanced cloud security testing strategy factoring in compliance and safeguards based on your specific business and objectives.
- Secure cloud strategy development — Cloud deployments are constantly evolving. The result? Your cloud-based cyber security strategy must keep pace. Trust our experts to assist in the design and implementation of agile, adaptable security plans that include cloud-based penetration testing, vulnerability analysis, security engineering, security architecture review, and remediation strategies.
- Privacy — CCPA is the most sweeping legislation to date in the U.S. that concerns the protection of personal information. It broadens the definition of what constitutes personal information and gives California citizens greater control over what companies can do with their personal data. The California Privacy Law includes the right to exempt their own personal information from being shared or purchased on the open market. Understand the impact this change and other states’ requirements have on your organization. Sensitive Data Scanning as a Service (SDSaaS) can help you monitor your valuable data.
- Cyber Security Awareness Training – With many employees now working remotely, they are targets for hackers. Ensure they understand the potential threats they may experience and best practices to prevent cyber attacks on your network or customer data. Security Awareness training will provide guidance on how to detect suspicious activity and what to do in the event of a security incident.
- Security Engineering & Tools: Ensure you have the proper infrastructure to defend sensitive data of your clients, team, and more. Conduct security architecture reviews along with sensitive data scanning, and implement threat monitoring programs to proactively secure against cyber security threats.
- Managed Detection and Response (MDR) program — An ongoing review of your threat landscape is a best practice for your industry through a managed detection and response program (MDR) or Threat Hunting Program
- Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) Readiness – Prepare for the new CMMC certification requirement to continue working with the Department of Defense (DoD) or to bid on projects with the DoD.
“We really appreciate the responsiveness and willingness to discuss results.”
– CEO, Software company
Custom-Built Cloud Data Security Protection
At HALOCK Security Labs, we recognize that every cloud security testing deployment is unique — and we design with that in mind. Our custom-built protection plans leverage the critical concept of purpose-driven protection: finding the right amount of security and implementing it the right way to both maximize data defense and minimize business disruption and keep a secure cloud. Time to boost your cloud-based cyber security? Let’s talk. Enhance your security strategy to address your changing working environment and risk profile due to COVID-19. HALOCK is a trusted cyber security consulting firm, compliance, and penetration testing company headquartered in Schaumburg, IL in the Chicago area servicing clients throughout the United States.
Reasonable Security is Now Defined
The Sedona Conference – an influential think tank that advices attorneys, regulators, and judges on challenging technical matters – just released its Commentary on a Reasonable Security Test. The Commentary is the first document of its kind that provides the legal community with a clear definition of a “reasonable” security control.